Fearless in Ferelden
I prepared the following to get us all started quickly:
Dragon Age Prep
- For a basic introduction to the Dragon Age rules, download the free Quickstart Guide and read pp. 1-12. (Please do not read pp. 13-26.)
- If you’d like to use a pre-generated character, there are some available in the Quickstart Guide, starting on p. 27. There are also others available online.
- If you’d like to make your own character from scratch — recommended — you can download a free blank character sheet. There’s also a two-page version available if that’s more your speed.
- You can get a basic sense of the character-creation process in this Design Diary. Here’s my light commentary:
- For character abilities, roll 3d6 eight times. The strict rules are that you do so in order down the ability list and then swap two to customize. Let’s stick to that design constraint for our first characters. We can see how they play before reconsidering for future character generation.
- Come to the first session knowing what background and class you would like to play. You might find that your ability rolls inform your choices.
- If you have a copy of the rules yourself, you can complete your character on your own. Otherwise, we’ll do so quickly before the first game session.
- Dragon Age’s core mechanic is d6-based, so you can leave most of your dice at home.